Sue was on a skiing holiday in France when she received a text from her brother, Ali, founder of Activities Abroad, asking if she would like to come into the office – ‘just for a few hours’ - to ‘help out’. 14 years later, she is still there, ‘helping out’ as a full-time Marketing Coordinator!
Sue had travelled extensively and was delighted to join the family travel business. When she started work, there was only a handful of staff and it was ‘all hands on deck’, with everyone dealing with whatever task needed doing, but as the business grew, she moved into administration and sales and ultimately, marketing.
Having a passion for travel made this an ideal job for her and when asked to go on a trip to Finland and Norway with her colleague, Dawn, she jumped at the chance. Enjoying, firsthand, activities such as husky sledding and snowmobiling through pristine snowy landscapes was a fantastic experience and Sue is keen that others should have the chance to have these opportunities.
Sue would love to explore more of The Aurora Zone’s destinations and hopes to take her family with her one year so that she can share the Northern Lights with them, too.
- Spending a night in a glass-roofed Aurora Cabin at Muotka waiting for the Northern Lights to appear in the sky above.
- Meeting a young Sámi reindeer herder and his family and listening to his fascinating life around a warm fire in a wooden kota drinking hot cloudberry juice.
- Visiting the northernmost municipality of Finland – Utsjoki. 500kms north of the Arctic Circle and only 35kms from the Arctic Ocean.
- King Crab fishing in the Arctic Ocean in Norway (and then enjoying this delicious delicacy with a couple of glasses of white wine!).
- Relaxing in the en-suite saunas at each destination!
- Visiting Finnish Lapland during December and witnessing the run-up to Christmas in true Finnish-style.
- Finland – Levi, Ivalo, Inari, Muotka, Saariselkä , Kultahovi, Utsjoki