Accommodation / Finland
Saariselkä Northern Lights Village
Located in North East Finland, the Northern Lights Village sits on the outskirts of the ski resort of Saariselkä. Tucked away from the town and separated from it by dense forest, the location is ideal for viewing the Northern Lights but is still within walking distance (around 1000m) of the town’s amenities. The ski slopes can be accessed via a shuttle (small charge applies) or a pleasant walk of around 40-50 minutes.
The Northern Lights Village offers accommodation in Aurora Cabins which are half-roofed with glass. The twin or double beds are situated beneath the panoramic roof and provide the chance to view the Northern Lights from your bed! It’s not often that folk prefer a sleepless night but here it’s not considered to be a huge inconvenience as it provides the chance to potentially witness Mother Nature’s greatest light show!
There are 80 cabins in total, all of which are within a 5-10 minutes walk of the Village’s central facilities which include the restaurant where you’ll enjoy breakfast and dinner.
- The Village restaurant is an atmospheric place, inspired by traditional wooden kotas (Finnish teepees). Breakfast is a buffet of continental options and some hot dishes. Evening meals are a buffet with starters of soups and salad, a choice of local meat or fish will follow (the reindeer and white fish in this region are delicious!). Typically a cake will be served for pudding, keeping you well-fuelled for your nocturnal Aurora hunting adventures. Dietary requirements are all well-catered for as long as we are informed at the time of booking. There’s also a large lobby near reception for you to relax in after your meal.
- The Northern Lights Village has an onsite reindeer paddock and all activities start in the village so there is no need for time-wasting transfers. Basically, because we want to make your holiday as uncomplicated as possible, life is made very easy here.
- Saariselkä is around a 20-25 minute walk from the Northern Lights Village (40-50 minutes to the ski slopes) which means that all of the amenities, shops, cafés and local restaurants are within easy reach.
- For all Northern Lights activities, an expert guide will provide you with photographic tuition. The guides sometimes take pictures throughout the activities which can be purchased on your return to the village, if they take any.
- For all of your provided winter clothing, simply go to the onsite Safari House where overalls, gloves, boots, skis and snowshoes are stored for easy access.
- Guests can pay extra to use the hot tub, sauna and ice pool. This can be used during public time or booked for private use.
The Aurora Cabins have a half-glass roof and all face north. The design is based on the traditional wooden kotas (teepees) of Finland.
Each cabin has twin beds (which can be made into a double). A sofa bed, suitable for an additional adult, can be added on request. There is a shower room (with underfloor heating) and a toilet, as well as a luggage storage area (please note that hot water is limited). Tea and coffee-making facilities, a hairdryer and a minibar are also included.
Importantly for duvet-based Aurora hunting, a timer switch can be used to heat the glass roof should your view be obscured by snowfall. It takes approximately 5-10 minutes to heat and melt the snow so there’s no need to go and sweep the roof in your pyjamas!
Cabins are not cleaned between arrival and departure unless requested from reception. Additionally, towels can be exchanged at reception if required.
Covid-19 Safety and Hygiene 16-step Protocol
The Northern Lights Village is committed to delivering a clean and safe environment for its guests through strict hygiene and safety protocols, in order to bring confidence to all visitors. As part of this commitment, they have introduced a 16-step protocol which includes, amongst other measures, a reduction in group sizes during activities, meal times arranged in advance to avoid overcrowding and enhanced surface and gear disinfection.
Image credits: Markku Inkila