Accommodation / Finland
Harriniva Wilderness Hotel
Ideally located in the north-west corner of Finland, high above the Arctic Circle and in the very heart of the Aurora Zone, Harriniva Wilderness Hotel serves as a perfect base for your adventure holiday.
Owned and run by the Pietikäinen family, the hotel has developed a growing reputation for its warm ambience and a large range of enjoyable activities on offer.
The hotel has a range of facilities that have been designed to make your stay here as enjoyable as possible.
- There is free Wi-Fi throughout the main building for guest use, in our experience, we have found it works best in the main reception and dining area
- The hotel restaurant has a lively, buzzing atmosphere as people excitedly discuss the adventures they have taken part in that day. The meals are served in a buffet style with two or three choices for each course. The food here is hearty and wholesome
- The hotel also has a pub serving a range of beers, wines and spirits - this is the perfect place to unwind and relax with your fellow guests in the evening
- Tea and coffee are available free of charge throughout the day in the hotel restaurant / bar area.
- In the main reception area of the hotel, you will find a small gift shop selling a range of postcards, soft toys and handcrafted products. There is also a selection of snacks that can be purchased
- A sauna is available for guest use with separate facilities for men and women. This is free of charge and is heated every evening for around three hours
- The hotel also has an Aurora Wellness Centre (situated a short walk away on the riverbank), where you can enjoy a range of therapies such as facials or massages. A real treat after a day of soaking up the pristine wilderness! During peak periods, we would strongly recommend booking therapies in advance through reception (all payable locally and we recommend booking in advance if possible)
- Snowshoes and cross country skis are available to hire for a small charge and there are marked trails surrounding the hotel for those with some experience. For those interested in downhill skiing, reception will be able to arrange a taxi to the nearby ski resort of Olos (payable locally)
Wilderness plus rooms
Decorated in traditional Scandinavian style, these bedrooms were refurbished in 2018. The rooms include double/twin beds and an unfolding sofa suitable for 1 adult or 2 children. All rooms have an en-suite shower room and a hairdryer, as well as a small seating area.
Harriniva has 64 guest bedrooms which consist of twin or double rooms. Triple rooms are also available on request. Decorated in traditional Scandinavian style, all rooms have an en-suite shower room and a hairdryer.
Spacious wilderness style room, decorated in traditional Scandinavian style, these rooms were refurbished in 2018. Located on the ground floor, close to reception these rooms include double/twin beds and an unfolding sofa suitable for 1 adult or 2 children. All rooms have an en-suite shower room and a hairdryer, as well as a small seating area.
Northern Lights cabins
The hotel has a small number of cabins available on the riverbank, which offer a more secluded accommodation option. The cabins have double or twin beds, a private sauna, an en-suite shower room with a hairdryer, a small kitchen and a lounge area.
For those travelling on our longer husky or snowmobile experiences, your nights at the hotel will be spent in shared accommodation in one of Harriniva's Safari Houses. Each has sleeping facilities, a shower room, toilet and a sauna. Some safari houses are on site, whereas others are located 3km from the hotel. If you are staying off-site, you will be transferred to and from the hotel for meals.
Image credits Emmi Kähkönen - Harriniva Hotels & Safaris