Working for us
Working for The Aurora Zone
We get paid to indulge our great passions, travel, the Northern Lights and Northern Scandinavia!
Not surprisingly, we have a pretty contented team which comprises males and females aged from 20 up to 61 years old.
We work hard but always strive to ensure that our days are both interesting and fun and that our work/life balance never becomes all about work, work and more work. Our focus is on providing our clients with the best possible Northern Lights holiday experience but, at the same time, enjoying a rewarding and hopefully inspiring work environment.
Applying to Work with The Aurora Zone
If you would like to work with us then please keep a close eye on this page as we will advertise any vacancies here and will initially require an up-to-date CV as well as an interesting and entertaining (no pressure!) covering letter.
Customer Support Assistant
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with fantastic customer service skills to join our vibrant team in Newcastle.
Our Customer Support Team has recently been restructured and we are seeking two new team members to help make the team efficient, organised and a key department in our travel company.
Based in Hoult’s Yard in Byker, The Artisan Travel Company has three distinct brands. All of these brands are underpinned by our strong belief in personal service and our exceptional product knowledge.
At Activities Abroad we offer unforgettable family activity holidays throughout the year. From reindeer sleigh rides in Lapland to canyoning in Catalonia, canoeing in Costa Rica to Northern Lights hunting in Norway; we use our own families’ experiences to craft your family’s holiday.
The Aurora Zone is the UK’s original and only dedicated Northern Lights holiday company. With itineraries throughout Finland, Sweden, Iceland and Norway, we do all that we can to ensure that our guests experience the North at its very best, whilst providing the best possible chance for you to see the Northern Lights.
Artisan Travel is all about getting under the skin of the destinations we know (and love) so well with our expert local partners. Every holiday has been designed in conjunction with our local teams to ensure you experience the absolute best of this amazing planet. Artisan Travel is an exciting and vibrant brand which is constantly being developed to bring all of the hidden secrets and insider knowledge to our wonderful clients.
Reporting to our Office Manager, you will be involved in all aspects of the post-booking processes and will help ensure that our clients experience the best possible level of customer service.
About the job
This is an exciting and dynamic role which allows you to integrate with almost all departments within the business. As we are now entering our quieter period (winter is our busiest season) you will be working in a team of two initially, but this may expand depending on the needs of the business.
Below we have outlined three main areas of responsibility with a little further info on each along with some other more of the general types of task you could expect as part of this day to day role.
- Processing bookings in our booking system – this consists of doing careful quality checks and producing documents for our clients
- Creating and sending final travel documents
- Processing any documents when clients make changes to their trips (adding on activities/changing dates etc)
- Processing payments
- Dealing with cancellations
Point of contact for all customers post booking
You will be the friendly face of the company for anyone with any questions, amends, or problems from after they have made the initial booking through to when they have travelled and returned home.
- You will have responsibility for a number of inboxes and all incoming phone calls via our dedicated admin/customer service line
- Liaising with suppliers and colleagues to make all amendments and adaptions to any existing bookings. Some examples of these types of request include booking additional activities, actioning any specific room requests, making any changes to flights (such as upgrades) etc.
- Work with the Sales Team regarding booking queries
- Responding to client queries as, given the nature of our holidays, people naturally do have questions! You will work to answer these in a timely manner working with the product team or overseas suppliers to fully answer questions.
Managing customer feedback
When our customers complete a feedback form after their holiday we read, act upon, and respond to each and every one.
- This involves feeding back positive comments to other colleagues before replying to the client to thank them.
- For any problems you will deal swiftly and professionally with client complaints during and following holidays, liaising with all departments and possibly local partners necessary to provide swift and effective resolution.
- Must have good IT skills and be able to use Outlook, Excel, and Word with ease. Our digital booking system can be quite complex but full training will be given. Decent all-round IT knowledge would be advantageous
- Must be able to work well under pressure and appreciate the need for urgency (many of our tasks are time sensitive)
- Must be happy picking up the phone and talking to our clients. Must also be able to confidently call and speak with others in the business and our overseas suppliers.
- Should have excellent attention to detail and take pride in the documents they produce
- Exceptional organisational skills are required as there will always be multiple tasks underway at any one time.
- Should be a positive and enthusiastic person. Whilst serious complaints are few and far between you need to be someone who is able to handle clients who might be upset/angry (you will always have a manager to offer guidance and support however)
- Our candidate should have the ability to work well within a small team whilst managing their own workload
- Strong English skills are essential, both written and verbal
- Experience working in the travel industry would be advantageous but not essential
The following are standard responsibilities for all positions within the company:
- Contribute to a positive working atmosphere and to the generation of good morale
- Cover other positions in the company as directed by your line manager
- Contribute to and attend meetings and training as required
- Participate in any staff review processes
- Take appropriate responsibilities to ensure the health and safety of self and others, this will also include cleanliness of your desk area
- Pursue the achievement of equal opportunities throughout the company
What can you expect in return?
- A vibrant office environment. Located in Hoult’s Yard you are within easy walking distance of local transport links, cafes and pubs. On-site parking is chargeable but there are plenty of nearby places to park free of charge.
- Permanent, contract with 28-35 hours per week (may include some Saturdays in peak periods)
- Flexible working hours and potential home working can be discussed after a three month probationary period
- 28 days holiday
- Discounted trips
- Salary from £18,500 to £20,000 per annum (depending on experience)
- To apply please send us a copy of your CV with covering letter (outlining why you are the ideal candidate for the role. Please feel free to be informal and show your personality on the cover letter – we would like to know more about you!)
- If you are selected you will be invited to come and meet with us. There will be a short interview and then you will be required to do a short task/IT test.
Applications without cover letters will not be considered