Accommodation / Finland
Wilderness Hotel Inari
Situated on Lake Inari’s shores, Wilderness Hotel Inari is one of the most spectacular destinations we feature. Offering excellent levels of comfort and some serious ‘wow factor’, it is the latest addition to the Wilderness Hotels owned by our good friends Jouko and Mari Lappalianen.
Importantly it is also slap, bang in the middle of the world’s best Aurora hunting territory and the hotel has implemented some innovative Northern Lights features to help maximise your viewing potential.
Wilderness Hotel Inari is ideally located around 40 minutes’ drive from Ivalo Airport and just five minutes from Inari Village, which is the centre of Sámi culture in Finland.
There is a variety of accommodation on offer here, including cabins, Aurora cabins and hotel rooms, all of which are separate to (but within very easy reach of), the central restaurant building.
The hotel provides modern accommodation with décor which combines both comfort and charm. A huge amount of thought has gone into creating this very special place to stay.
- The focal point of the hotel is the main reception, bar, lounge and restaurant building. There will be gasps of delight from the moment you walk in and are confronted with exceptional views out towards the lake.
- All meals are served in the restaurant and the quality of the food has been excellent in our experience.
- Breakfast offers a continental selection of meats, breads, cheese, fish and pastries as well as hot options including bacon and eggs. There are fresh fruit and yoghurts to compliment
- A.t lunch and evening meals, an array of fresh salads and a soup is followed by a choice of two main dishes prepared by the chefs. Options will typically include some local flavours as well as international dishes. In the evening these are accompanied by a pudding. Tea, coffee and water are included in your stay and any additional drinks can be added to your bill.
- The restaurant is beautifully decorated, with local art and woodwork creating a great atmosphere. The fantastic north facing panoramic windows running the length of the room offer views out onto Lake Inari. We certainly expect a few evening meals to be abandoned as the Aurora becomes visible during dinner (the chefs get used to it)!
- The bar area is fully stocked so you can enjoy a drink with your meal or relax in the lounge area by the roaring fire.
- Free Wi-Fi is available in the main hotel building and rooms (it is less strong in the Aurora cabins and the log cabins but 3G reception should work on your phone).
- The crowning 'Northern Lights glory' here is the glass-roofed sauna which is housed by the lake in a modified Aurora Cabin. Guests can book the sauna at the reception in hour long slots for private use (free of charge) and so if you strike lucky, you can witness the Northern Lights from inside, which is a very special experience.
The bedrooms are located in two separate buildings around 50 metres from the main building.
Each room has been decorated in a traditional Arctic style with inspiration taken from the local environment. They are around 30m² and have either a queen-sized bed or twin beds. Coffee and tea making facilities are provided in your room as well as either a comfortable sofa or two armchairs. If you can’t face being detached from the “real world”, the rooms also come with free Wi-Fi. Every bedroom is en-suite and comes complete with hairdryer and toiletries.
These rooms are designed for two people to share but a third person can be accommodated on a camp bed or pull-out sofa (supplements apply).
Image credits: Inari Wilderness Hotel, Matt Robinson