Accommodation / Norway
Sommarøy Arctic Hotel
Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, in the traditional fishing community of Sommarøy, this hotel offers a location with breath-taking views across the water. A recent full renovation and extension (which was completed in 2017) also ensures world-class facilities as well as plenty of Nordic charm.
The small island of Sommarøy (‘summer island’) is a thriving community with an active fishing industry so you can be sure of a genuine coastal experience and plenty of freshly caught delicacies to enjoy at meal times.
The hotel is located around 45 minutes from Tromsø yet its remote location provides a true sense of escape. Despite offering 155 rooms in total (with various room/apartment options) the hotel still has an intimate feel and guests will frequently spend evenings socialising in the bar or keeping watch for the Northern Lights together.
- Relax in the hotel's seaside bathhouse which features a woodfired sauna and spacious hot tub. The hotel also boasts an outdoor hot tub with excellent views of the sea and night’s sky
- The hotel has a wine lounge which features a glass wall overlooking the harbour and a central fireplace. This can be booked for small groups or is sometimes open for everyone.
- The bar offers an excellent wine list and you can sample a drink from the hotel’s own vineyard in Italy
- The hotel offers free private parking to all guests
- Breakfast, which is included in your stay, is served within the on-site lobby restaurant which uses fresh local ingredients where possible
- The 24-hour reception team will be happy to assist you in booking additional activities or pointing out local sights
DOUBLE/TWIN/SINGLE STANDARD ROOMS: the hotel has 15 standard rooms in total. These are all located on the ground floor of the original building and offer an ensuite shower room, free Wi-Fi, TV, desk, hairdryer and a seating area.
DOUBLE/TWIN STANDARD-PLUS ROOMS: there are 14 standard-plus rooms which have the same amenities as standard rooms but are located on the upper floor of the hotel with the majority offering sea views. These require a minimum of two people.
SUPERIOR BALCONY ROOM: located in the new hotel wing, the superior balcony rooms are all warmly decorated in a modern Nordic fashion and offer double or twin beds as well as an en-suite shower room, free Wi-Fi, TV, desk, hairdryer and a seating area. Each has a balcony with sea views. There are 42 superior balcony rooms in total
SUPERIOR BALCONY SUITE: the hotel has 3 comfortable and spacious balcony suites in the new wing of the hotel which have one double/twin and one single bedroom as well as a large living area and balcony. The ensuite bathroom has a bathtub, shower and hairdryer. The suites have tea and coffee making facilities and free Wi-Fi
FISHERMAN’S COTTAGES: each fisherman’s cottage (Rorbu) is furnished in a cosy Norwegian coastal style and located around a two-minute walk from the hotel. There are four 3-bedroom cottages for up to 6 guests, each featuring a kitchen, lounge and two shower rooms/toilets.
Image credits: Sommarøy Arctic Hotel