Accommodation / Finland
Wilderness Hotel Muotka
Muotkan Maja Wilderness Hotel resides around 40km from the main town of Ivalo, tucked away in the corner of North-East Finland. Recently renovated and restored it is owned and run by the same couple as the popular Nellim Wilderness Hotel, Mari and Jouko Lappalainen. They run the hotel with the same hard-working ethos and it exudes the same warmth and charm for its much-welcomed guests.
The hotel boasts some wonderful scenery, tucked away in the forested-fells with roaming reindeer frequently seen amongst the trees. It consists of two main accommodation buildings, one with the majority of the bedrooms and another with hosts additional bedrooms, the main restaurant and the reception area.
- The focal point of the main building is the restaurant which is where you will have the majority of your meals. Food will be served buffet style with a variety of continental and cooked food for breakfast and the choice of two or three options for each course at dinner. The menu has been designed with a focus on both traditional and international cuisine using fresh, locally-sourced ingredients
- There is a bar which is usually open until 1 am and serves a variety of spirits, wines and beers and a lounge area with comfortable armchairs to relax in during your free time
- There is a sauna in the main building which is heated daily for guest use
- Free Wi-Fi is available in the main building (at the bar and in the restaurant)
- In the main building, you will also find two fireplaces, games and books, which makes it a perfect place to relax
- The rooms do not have tea and coffee making facilities but tea and coffee are available free of charge and available in the restaurant area
- Hairdryers are available from the main hotel reception
There are 12 double and twin rooms in the main building and 11 in the additional building just across the courtyard. All rooms are en-suite with shower room, wardrobe, hairdryer and nightstand and can be made up as either a double or twin. They have also been recently renovated and offer lovely Scandinavian décor and charm.
Image credits: Jouko Lappalainen, Markku Inkila