Accommodation / Finland
Harriniva Wilderness Hotel & Cabins
Harriniva Wilderness Hotel resides in the remote north west corner of Finland near the small town of Muonio, high above the Arctic Circle and ideally located within the Aurora Zone.
It is situated on the edge of Finland and should you cross the river that runs next to the hotel you will find yourself in Sweden.
The hotel is owned and run by the Pietikainen family, along with their sister hotels at Jeris, Kittila and Torassieppi. These hotels are famed for the warm welcome you receive and for the enthusiasm of the guides who work there, in addition to the wonderful and varied activities which they operate daily.
- The hotel restaurant has three dining areas and serves simple and hearty food. Breakfast is a Scandinavian style buffet with a range of options and your evening meal is generally a salad buffet followed by a set main meal and dessert.
- There is a pub which serves a range of beers, wines and spirits and is the ideal spot to socialise with the other guests.
- Separate sauna facilities are available for men and women, free of charge, during the evenings for around three hours. There is also an Aurora Wellness Centre which is situated on the river bank and offers a range of treatment and therapies. At busy times these should be booked in advance.
- Wi-Fi is available free of charge throughout the hotel and there are two PCs available for guest use in reception. There is also a small souvenir shop in reception which sells some lovely gifts and also a small range of snacks.
- Tea and coffee facilities are available throughout the day but there is a charge for this so we would suggest bringing a travel kettle if this is important to you.
Northern Lights cabins
The cabins are located right on the edge of the river and have double beds (formed from two single beds pushed together) or twin beds, a small kitchenette, their own private sauna and en-suite shower room with a hairdryer. As they are located slightly away from the main building and also facing the frozen river, there is minimal light pollution, so if the Northern Lights do appear during your stay you will be able to witness a stunning display from just outside your cabin door.